T2: Tampa Theatre's New Microcinema
You may have noticed some changes taking place under Tampa Theatre’s historic marquee!
In the final days of 2021, the storefront adjacent to the Box Office – which served as the home of The Nature Shop for more than 40 years – was cleaned out and boarded up so a transformation can take place inside. Over the next year, the space will become Tampa Theatre’s first expansion in its 95-year history: a 40-seat “microcinema.” The intimate screening room will feature exquisite sight lines and sound and will be a game-changer in terms of the historic theatre’s programming flexibility.
Check back here often for news, updates and photos of the work in progress!
- August 4, 2023 – Demolition is largely complete and the T2 space has been taken back to the bricks (photos by Aixa Santiago)
- July 26, 2023 – Demolition is finally underway! (photos by Jeff Fay)
- March 8, 2023 – Installation of the new vinyl graphics on the construction wall (staff photos)
- Dec. 30, 2021 & Jan. 3, 2022 – “Before” shots of the interior/exterior, and the City of Tampa crew arriving to board up the storefront (photos by Jeff Fay)
- Tampa Theatre Undergoes Restorations as it Approaches 100 – May 31, 2023
- Tampa Theatre Announces Addition of T2 Microcinema – Oct. 9, 2019*
* Thanks to COVID-19 and associated challenges, the T2 project has been significantly delayed compared to the original timeline we projected in 2019. We expect construction to take about a year and anticipate a grand opening in spring of 2024.