SUMMER FILM CAMP
Each summer, Tampa Theatre’s historic auditorium lights up with young filmmakers working together to produce their visions on-screen. Campers entering grades 3-12 work in small groups to learn the creative process of digital filmmaking, from brainstorming, storyboarding, and scriptwriting to filming, lighting and editing. All of the necessary equipment is provided, including cameras, lights, sound equipment, Mac computers and software. By the end of the week, each production team will have a 3-5 minute movie to premiere on the big screen for family and friends.
In 2024, both the live-action and stop-motion animation camps will be offered, including two weeks of FULL DAY filmmaking (which has been quick to sell out in the past!):
- HALF-DAY LIVE ACTION FILMMAKING CAMP makes the campers the stars as they write, produce and act in their own short films. The one-week program of half-day sessions will be offered Monday-Friday the weeks of June 3-7 and July 8-12.
The morning session from 9:00am-noon is for students entering grades 3-6(SOLD OUT), and the afternoon session from 1:00-4:00pm is for those entering grades 7-12. Each session is $235 per camper, which includes a camp T-shirt, daily snacks and access to a digital copy of the finished films. Participation is capped at 20 campers per session.
- HALF-DAY STOP-MOTION ANIMATION FILMMAKING CAMP shows campers how to create an animated film one frame at a time with clay, Legos, paper and other materials in a style of animation made popular by Wallace and Gromit and SOUTH PARK. The one-week program of half-day sessions will be offered Monday-Friday the week of June 17-21. The morning session from 9:00am-noon is for students entering grades 3-6, and the afternoon session from 1:00-4:00pm is for those entering grades 7-12. The session is $235 per camper, which includes a camp T-shirt, daily snacks and access to a digital copy of the finished films. Participation is capped at 20 campers per session.
- FULL DAY LIVE ACTION FILM CAMP gives campers the opportunity to work together to create, produce, and act in their original short films. Campers will also participate in film studies, learn new filming techniques, practice special effects, and more! This one-week program will be offered Monday – Friday
the week of June 10-14 for students entering grades 6-8(SOLD OUT) and July 15-19 for grades 9-12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Full Day Film Camp is $495 per camper, which includes a camp T-shirt, daily snacks, daily lunch, and access to a digital copy of all the finished films from the week. Lunch is provided, but campers are also welcome to bring their own lunch. Participation is capped at 18 campers per session and will fill up quickly.
See films made in previous years at www.youtube.com/tampafilmcamp
Summer Film Camp is presented by Film Tampa Bay in collaboration with the USF Office of Youth Experiences and the Florida Center of Instructional Technology. Additional support provided by the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County.
Join the Waitlist
If your preferred Summer Film Camp session(s) is currently sold out, join our waitlist to be notified in the event an opening becomes available.
SOLD OUT SESSIONS:
- Half-Day Live Action Filmmaking Camp – June 3-7 (Grades 3-6)
- Half-Day Live Action Filmmaking Camp – July 8-12 (Grades 3-6)
- Full Day Live Action Filmmaking Camp – June 10-14 (Grades 6-8)