Front of House Manager
Resumes will not be reviewed or considered, unless accompanied by a Tampa Theatre Application. (See bottom of page)
Front of House Manager
CLOSES: Wednesday, June 21, 2023, 4:00 pm
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Permanent, Full-Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior FOH and Operations Managers
SALARY & BENEFITS: $40,000 – $46,000 per year, plus benefits package. Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, life, LTD & STD insurance. 401K participation available after one year of employment.
Tampa Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The successful applicant will become a key member of the Tampa Theatre’s intrepid full-time staff who work to protect, preserve and program the Theatre for the benefit of the community. A beloved community landmark since 1926, Tampa Theatre today is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that presents more than 700 films, concerts, education programs and special events each year. The House Manager is responsible for ensuring the courteous, efficient and safe day to day operations of the Theatre’s front of house during events resulting in the happiness and satisfaction of audience members, by performing a variety of administrative, supervisory, clerical and public relations functions. This is both a supervisory and, at times, a hands-on job, requiring outstanding interpersonal relations skills and an ability to build a positive work environment in which event staff and volunteers are well-trained, confident, empowered and eager to please customers.
Public Contact:This role is highly visible and interacts with patrons, donors, members, sponsors, volunteers, community-based partners,vendors, and rental clients. Extensive public contact requires that the House Manager possess the ability to deal both tactfully and effectively with individuals and groups on every level and have the ability to handle problems, guaranteeing the smooth and effective operation of the Theatre and the utmost in customer satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Recruit, train, motivate, and supervise part-time relief house managers and a diverse group of part-time event staff members to work in the box office and at concessions to provide efficient and friendly customer service to guests.
- Working with other staff and volunteers, provide leadership for the Theatre’s volunteer usher programs for concerts, education programs and special events. Train and supervise the ushers, including emergency procedures.
- Assist as coordinator for outside security staff (peer and off-duty law enforcement).
- Assist with internal and/or external custodial staff, communicating items and issues needing immediate attention, and advance notification of heavily attended events requiring extra clean up. May include negotiating contracts.
- Assist with concessions operations to maximize profits and service, including product selection, ordering stock, appearance and displays, bar set up, signage, and inventory controls.
- Evaluate and coordinate integration of new technology applications as needed and required.
- Ensure OSHA and Health Standards are met, and handle all Florida Department of Health Standards, Inspections, and that all employees are trained in food handling.
- Schedule front of house staff in a budget conscious manner while fully meeting the anticipated needs of events.
- Work with the marketing team to coordinate display of marketing materials, and create concessions and logistical signage that is on brand.
- Meet in advance with rental event clients to confirm front of house set up arrangements, concessions and catering needs, merchandise deals, set up needs, show schedule, and any special requirements. Communicate event set up details, changes or developments to appropriate staff.
- Oversee event set-up, including crowd control, signage, tables, chairs, linens, and remote bars.
- Prepare and account for house bank and till cash made available to staff to conduct sales.
- Work with Theatre’s stage and booth personnel to coordinate show start and intermission protocols.
- Make curtain speeches welcoming the audience, announcing upcoming events, promoting membership, for organized exits, safety concerns, and other matters as needed or requested.
- Reconcile and consolidate the Theatre’s daily sales reports into a master daily reconciliation report, prepare physical deposits and all final rental event related documentation, reports, and reconciliations at the end of each day.
- Enforce house safety policies for all events, especially touring events with outside crews and with rental clients.
- Conduct periodic internal evaluations to ensure ADA compliance.
- Assist the Senior Staff in maintaining a strong and cordial relationship with the Theatre’s Board of Directors, Members, Donors, and Sponsors particularly as related to their guest experiences in the building.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited high school or a general equivalence diploma (GED) plus three to five (3-5) years management experience in the retail customer service, food & beverage and/or event operations, preferably in a theater environment; or the equivalent in education, training and experience, which would provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Experience working as a Manager or General Manager in a busy multi-plex movie theater, as a Manager, Concessions Manager and/or Event Coordinator at a mid-to-large sized event venue.
- Volunteer supervision, Box Office experience a plus.
- Experience with etix, Ticketmaster or other similar ticketing systems a plus.
- Experience with MICROS/Oracle point-of-sale system a plus.
- Knowledge of current Information Technology trends and platforms a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish language a plus.
JOB BASED COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Strong general math skills, including the ability to handle cash-related transactions accurately and ethically.
- Sufficient accounting, settlement or reconciliation training and/or experience to properly reconcile box office and concessions reports, employee shift paperwork and daily sales reconciliation reports.
- Ability to receive and respond to a wide range of public inquiries, disputes, complaints and special problems involving errors including those involving transaction charges.
- Ability to take initiative & prioritize multiple competing tasks.
- Excellent time-management, problem-solving and organization skills are essential.
- Ability to analyze facts and to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work with close attention to detail and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, the general public, performing artists and their representatives.
- Skilled in use of computers in a PC, Windows-based operating environment. Proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of point of sale and credit card processing systems and ability to learn, implement and manage new systems.
- Ability to work changing and irregular shifts, predominantly nights and weekends, but weekdays and holidays as well, as required by the event schedule.
- Ability to work professionally and support management decisions in a positive, tactful manner.
Position requires walking, stooping, bending, reaching, standing for both short and long periods of time, the
occasional lifting of items up to 30 lbs. and the ability to frequently climb and descend stairs. Position also
requires hearing to accurately understand information at normal spoken word levels and visual observation for
reviewing, checking, preparing, and maintaining written and digital files. Manual dexterity to operate
standard office, data entry and other related equipment is required.
Please send cover letter describing qualifications, resume, three business references, and completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: House Manager. Please clearly label all attachments & include a listing of all attachments within the body of the email. Hard copy application packages may be mailed to: Tampa Theatre-Box Office, ATT: JOBS, 711 N Franklin Street, Tampa, FL, 33602. Application packages may be dropped off in person at the same address, Monday-Friday, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM ONLY. No phone calls please.
Applications deadline: Applications must be received no later than June 21, 2023 at 4:00pm
Interview notification: The highest scoring applicants will be notified via email, no later than June 29, to arrange a preliminary interview.
Targeted Hire Date: mid-to-late July
If interested, fill out below application. No applications will be accepted without the form at the link below filled out. Phone calls and walk-ups will not be accepted.
Tampa Theatre is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. Tampa Theatre makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Tampa Theatre Employment Application